Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Tree and The Pumpkin

Whew, it has been a while since I have made a posting on our blog. I think it is a new record. We have been busy, but not too busy. Actually I haven't taken too many pictures in the last few weeks and so this is what happens, nothing gets posted.

No one gets trees here. There aren't even too many plastic ones hanging around. We really wanted to cut a tree, but weren't shure if it was kosher. We talked to our fellow Korean teachers, and had one of our advanced students talk to his mom, who works at city hall. In the end we got the "OK, Just don't drag it in during rush hour. "

I think the tree was honored to be selected. I mean, how many pine trees get to become a Christmas tree in Korea....? Very few. I began with the lights. At the shopping mall, I found a megar supply of lights compared to the vast quantities at home. Lights, lights, lights. This is one of my favorite parts of Christmas
Chelsie had some of her studnets make some ornaments in class. They do celebrate Christmas here, but just not with the same amout of energy. It was good classroom discussion.

During breaktime, I had some of my kids do some origami boxes to hang on the tree as ornaments.
Some ribbon and shazam. It is now a very happy Korean/American christmas tree. We love to come home and plug it in. It makes the house so cozy.
Some friends of ours, Dan and Lindsay, who spent Christmas here last year, left us with their stockings when they went home this fall.
We are also working on getting our Christmas letter in the mail. It was quite fun figuring out where to get it printed, and buying stamps and envelopes.
As winter is here and fall is gone, it was time to call it quits for the jolly pumpkin that sat where the christmas tree now does.

Jack-o-lantern....?
Nope.
Pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin soup, pumpkin seeds, and more pumpkin to come later.

Our once decoritive pumpkin was enjoyed to the fullest when Chelsie cooked up some tastey dishes out of it.
We have been busy making plans for our upcoming holiday vacation. The holidays are going to be fun, but it will be and has been sad to be away from family this year. We watched an excellent old movie that will become a Christmas favorite of ours. "The Shop Around the Corner" will rank right up there with "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Peanuts Christmas".

4 comments:

Melanie and Richard said...

This post was just what we needed to add to our Christmas spirit which is a little slow in coming here on Crete. I really think you need more lights on that tree, Jesse!

Daniel and Lindsay Miedema said...

Great post! Love the tree. Have a wonderful Christmas in Korea. - Lindsay and Dan

Jeff said...

Hey, we have origami on our library Christmas tree! Actually, it's not officially a Christmas Tree, I guess, because it wasn't cut for that purpose. The Forest Service was thinning a stand of 20-y.o. trees, and via the spousal unit of a library staff member, we obtained one. Lovely tree. It's drinking lots of water, and I kinda feel that I should say something to it, let it know what's really up. But then again, none of us knows the future. Mine could be shorter than the tree's. Anyway, I love pumpkin soup and so felt a wave of desire at the end of your post. I had tea and oatmeal cookies and got past it. I'm glad you didn't post for a while, since I was gone for 12 days, silent and incommunicado at a meditation retreat, over Thanksgiving. Kinda wish I could do that over Christmas, too, not that I'm a Scrooge or anything, well something like it, since I don't like Christmas much, but I don't like to take anyone down with me. Two office parties tonight; double batch of humous in the fridge; two loaves of whole-wheat walnut raisin bread in the oven now. Here's hoping that Laura remembers them ...

Merry Koristmas!

Amber said...

Wow the tree is so perfect and cute! I can't wait to see it in person!!! :D

Post a Comment